Monday, April 2, 2007

"Wouldn't you have done the same....??"..

"What a bunch of dumbf**k losers..!!!" I bellowed, when watching the pro-reservation guys continue to fart after the SC's verdict for a stay order on the OBC reservations...

One one side we get to see the AIIMS students celebrate a second holi upon hearing the news (Perfectly understandable...I might have done the same...Even more so if I happened to be writing the medical/ Engg. entrance exam(s) this year..!!!!) & on the other..we still see pro-reservation students on the same campus (yes...people who are unfortunately(?!?!?) from the "backward" categories) talk about how this is gross injustice to the "backward" classes & how this will lead to further monopolization of centers of excellence by "forward" classes...
But enough has been said on this issue already...I shall choose to muse over something else but not entirely unrelated to what has happened..

Following my delightful (WTF..!?!) response to the pro-reservation asswipes... One of my friends then tells me .." It isnt entirely their fault...Wouldn't you have done the same if you had been in their place..???"

"Wouldn't you have done the same..??" Hmmmm...well...I cant see myself making protests over establishing quotas...But I would be pretty dishonest if I said that I wouldn't support (atleast on a sub-conscious level) reservations if I had something to gain...& this wasnt/isnt just something thats at stake..it means the difference of getting/not getting a seat in IIMs/IITs/AIIMS etc etc...(I change my mind...I might have even joined the protests with so much to get & nothing to lose..!! :D)

& this opinion would seem like a natural one (nay...it wud be the ONLY opinion) if u were indeed one of the "backward" classes... But what if I chose to tell all u people about a friend of mine who was above all such petty thoughts..& rose far & above to prove that reservations dint matter to him...???

This friend wasnt an "OBC" but a so-called S_ , a category whose reservation isnt even a subject of contention anymore in the Indian society...a guy so brilliant...that he could ace any institute even in the GE category... The only colleague (if thats what I can call fellow students/friends whom I have been with, in person) who I unambiguously acknowledge to be the only person superior to me in overall capabilities & excellence...The guy with whom I shared honours in the maths Olympiad & in the Reynold's scholarships and many more wherein I just wasnt in his league...& so it was hardly wrong to assume that he would make it real big...

However, around the time that I had to attend my counselling at IITM following JEE...I got news that my friend had not made it through the finals of JEE...but thats not where the story ends..he did not make it in the GE category...however, for the rank he had secured, he could have named the college & course he wanted & got it too..all he needed to do was to invoke the reserved quota that he had every right (yes...I would have used it had I been in his place)...But..as I came to hear eventually..he said that he dint need reservation...& he would prove so...!!!!!!!

At that time..I really dint care whether he had proven himself to the world...But he had more than proved himself to me...That a human being who could have so much faith in his abilities, that he was so ambitious to scale the very best & biggest (as his talents rightly deserved) but could also embrace the true spirit of equality & realize that his future would be built..not on his birthrights...but his limitless potential...

& not surprisingly...the inevitable happened...he ended up getting AIR 10 in JEE'04 and went straight to IITD Comp Sci... fairytale stuff na..?? :-)
Hats Off to you buddy...!!! For showing me that respect is earned not just by "getting yourself a seat" but by proving to the world that determination & ability neither asks nor needs anything else to convert itself into achievement...

I only wish there were many more like you in our country..(even a few would do wonders in fact)...
To explain to our "political leaders" that a reservation system which only increases the magnitude of the reserved quota is not the way out to acheive "equality"...
To tell the f**ked up CM of Tamilnadu...that with all the money & time lost along with a gr8 deal of other intangible losses... many schools & perhaps even a few good colleges could have been set up for the "OBCs" he cares for so much...(Apart from telling him that an 82 year old wearing shades doesn't make him cool...It just makes him look what he is...A Fat-Ass Pimp..!!!!)
True...that much of my animosity comes from the fact that I had to wait for over 2 hours before I could finally get into a bus from Chennai to Trichy...thanks to an artificial emergency created by the bandh to "protest against the injustice done to the backward classes"...It comes from the fact that people, who usually never reserved their seats were appalled that every single bus that parked itself in the stand had already been over-reserved...which meant there was nothing available to travel in...
I might well have had to wait till the next morning..had I not sneaked into the bus...& when asked by the conductor for my reserved tickets..flashed two new notes which told him better than all the tamil I knew...that by letting me a seat...he would gain a week or two's supply of beedis or a bottle of the cheap desi liquor or whatever other luxuries our "honest" bus conductors indulge in..
But the looks on the faces of the few old men who had to stand all through that 8 hour journey was not lost on me...the pain, the frustration & the discomfort that should never have been theirs..
Is this how we demonstrate our love for the "backward classes" of my country..??Are we really fighting for their cause by depriving the economy of crores...atleast some of which could have been put into their service..??
As the political d**kheads play out their gimmicks to appease the electoral pool...I could not but help think about its implications... The gentleman sitting next to me complained endlessly about how this OBC thing is all a big farce....that reservations & entire debates held based on Neanderthal records of the year 1931 held no relevance today... that this country is doomed, damned etc etc...& we had to get out to get what we deserve...
An year ago...nay..even 8 months ago...Whenever someone asked me if I would consider taking up lucrative options overseas...I would stand proud & pronounce that I want to work in my country...the economy is growing...blah-blah... I will not join the "Brain-Drain" etc etc
& although the above isnt entirely untrue...its no more a secret that the best jobs only go overseas... & it is the greed of money, of a superior lifestyle & of "equality" based opportunities that has prompted me to not even regret the fact that I shall be going overseas 2 months later....
& yes...I hope His example shall show my countrymen that there are still proud Indians around who believe that it is the spirit of determination & excellence that makes us truly equal....& not a set of retards who revel in showing people how to celebrate our "backwardness".



P.S. : Those of you who know the guy I am talking about...Plz refrain from mentioning his name..& for those of you who don't ..Plz dont bother with his identity...But hail the man for the magnitude of his belief in equality...

24 comments:

shaaaaaaam said...

roger evry single word of this post...'jahanpanah' dat d person is..[;)]

supraja suresh said...

a thought provoking blog indeed....n a respectful bow to tht guy!!!.... :-)

Shubhankar said...

@Shyam..

Great memory man... Had forgotten that nick of his..!!! :-)

Garam Bheja Fry said...

if i may borrow his nick..'jahapanah' i bow to thee...u are a true champion...and loads of thanks and appreciation to this blogger for making us lesser mortals aware of your existence...

A real hard-hitting post!!! kudos!!

Unknown said...

wowwwwwww....
wat a bhaashan!!!:)
better than dhirubhai in guru
:p
but on a serious note..i agree tat reservation holds good only if the backward classes reach 12th standard which is very rare...& those who reach them are obv bright

but i expected an analytical view from a number cruncher like u
:) rather than an emotional outburst!

Shubhankar said...

@cardamom

Thanks dude...I had made up my mind a few years back that one day the world shall know of his greatness...!! :-)

Shubhankar said...

@harsh...

Numbers chahiye...wikipedia, rediff & google me search maar le :P

PG said...

wow aise human beings bhi hote hain kya? JEE rank 10!!!! i don't know him but he is already my hero.

Shubhankar said...

Hmmmm...Me thinks I should consider collecting royalties from "Jahanpanah" for having made him so popular..!!! :P

Nagneel said...

Yes..i've heard about a few guys like him.Very good.
I do not understand the OBC reservation for those who've made it to good engg colleges thru the general category..wouldn't it be embarrassing for them now to use the OBC ticket to go to the IIM's etc..just wondering.
And also with the jugglery the central govt has coem up with ..the 54% increase of seats..i just don't see it viable..atleast in our campus(since it is a forested area..we can't have more than 22% of total area as built area)..and we've reached our maximum here.Where are these 2000 odd guys gonna stay!?Stupid Govt.

Shubhankar said...

@nabire...

How to accomodate 2000 students more eh..??
Hmmm...how about converting all single occupancy rooms into 2-3 person rooms & similar such changes for the existing 2-3 person rooms...wud certainly promote "togetherness"..!! lolzzz

blitzkrieg said...

Sexy post with no reservations! :D

As for the 'jahanpanah', *humble bows* , wish we could see him again!

Unknown said...

Very well written!!!

-Plumber from PG:D

Shubhankar said...

@fool/Plumber

Thanks..!!! I am flattered to have readers from PG too..!!! :-)

Anarchy said...

hmmm :|
Nice way to vent out ur emotions.. but it is a very very debatable topic..
But then, you will agree that ur frnd was(and is) an exceptional dude.. n even I have a few frnds like that... but that is not the general case.. right???

Reservation is essential for the upliftment of a society which kinda banks upon backdoor entries into the rooms of fame!!!

think abt this one man!!

Shubhankar said...

@anarchy

"Reservation is essential for the upliftment of a society which kinda banks upon backdoor entries into the rooms of fame!!!"

Yes.. :-| ... Unfortunately..we never seem to think of the wide open doors to the front of the "rooms of fame" but only about sneaking in through windows & backdoors... If getting into the room is all that matters... then.. well.. :-|
But then again.. I might well have been at the other end of this debate had the reservations done me good..

& so...the debate shall continue.. :D

Anarchy said...

looking at things from all possible perspectives is one of the things I have learnt (and am not too good at it :P)

but... reservation, if controlled, it may spur the other people into working that much harder n becoming that much better..
but it should not reach the stage where General becomes a quota!!! :| It was abt to happen in the year 2002!!! thank god it dint!

Shubhankar said...

@anarchy
Dont speak too soon about GEN not being a quota..You haven't seen the last of the reservation issue yet.. there are always newer govts to come & more elaborate measures to appease the public for votes..!! :P

& btw... meri blog me itni spamming kyun ho rahi hai..!?!??! :O

pencil thief said...

i knew a person who did the opposite...
he took up a reservation seat even though he did very well in gen catagory just so someone from the general cat. wouldnt lose their seat...
...two sides to every story?? huh?

Shubhankar said...

@numb.lock

Yup...thats an interesting case...& one that I definitely salute... but wonder what Arjun Singh would say to that..!! lolzzz....

& btw... who are u..?!?! :O

cherubic_chipmunk said...

This post will most certainly go down in de annals of history as 1 of de best written...truly mind-boggling n makes u stand up n wonder if such ppl really exist...
[i]O ye jahanpanah,I bow to thee wid all reverence and salute thy incredulous act[/i]
**Hats off**
...N yea I too am more familiar wid de second side of de story,namely de 1 where a friend of mine took up a reservation seat to ensure that I dint lose mine...As long as such ppl continue doin their gr8 deeds,I believe our faith in humanity shall never cease to exist...Gr8 post once again buddy.

Shubhankar said...

@arvind

Dude...one of the best posts ever written..???
I am flattered beyond expression...thanks a zillion..!! :-)

Subodh said...

I beg to differ here.

Agreed the policy of reservation and the particular way in which it is implemented in India is stupid to say the least. But still, I will consider the person you cited an idealist at best and a moron in general.

The sheer fact that he secured AIR-10 in JEE means that he deserve admission even previous year. But due to paucity of seats in India, he was denied that. The reservation gave him a golden chance to grab a seat that rightfully belonged to him. And he spurned that away to give a golden chance to some Undeserving fellow in the reserved category that year and took the place of a deserving fellow next year.

Such acts need to be considered from Pragmatic point of view and they are condemnable at best.

I also read a similar story about a girl which made Constantine in Pagalguy have great respect towards that. I think this is typical Indian way of thinking. To make heroes where none exist.

These stories might appear touching but hail a wrong line of reasoning.

One of my acquaintance is at one of the IIMs now, and he took a seat through SC category. He is doing his Summers in Mckinsey now and is one of the toppers among the batch.

Had he tried through GEN category, India might have lost the chance to get 2 well-groomed Consultants / Managers - one himself and the other the GEN fellow who might have suffered an year or two after. I will call his stance praiseworthy irrespective of that he did not deserve reservation.

Because when the system have leaks they are gonna be exploited. No point hailing a few individual instances that are proving to be even more harmful.

Shubhankar said...

@eric blair...

Hmmmm...as always...hats off to you Subodh...Cant contradict that..not yet atleast..!! :P