Monday, June 11, 2007

The Birthday Post...!!!!

If only I had been born a month later...or begun work a month earlier...

I could boast out loud that I had been reborn just when my life has begun all over again,

Bigger & better than ever before...a life in which nothing is beyond my reach....


But I shall not do injustice to what more than promises to be the greatest experience of my not-so-long life by writing about it in this post...


No, that shall have to wait until enough of this richly moving & rewarding experience has assimilated itself within me... Although there is a possibility that I might never let go of what stops me from writing a premature post on what I have seen & experienced as a resident of Abu Dhabi....

It is weird that in between all of this, I am also supposed (or rather...expected) to be delighted about my "birthday" - Something which has now just become something of a mental chore, a reminder that triggers itself when friends remind you of...well...u know the usual round of greetings you get on a birthday dont u..??? :D


But I am hardly to blame for this...Why should something that repeats itself every year stay on my conscience when I see people belonging to cultures I had never before met smiling & working with me (& at times fuelling my perverted imagination..!! :P ) and reminding me that I am destined for really really big things..???


When I was 13, I would tell everyone around me that I was one day destined to be one of the most famous billionaires the world has known with a fleet of Rolls Royce & Bentleys like none other....

Then came the sobering teens & all the trials of college...& many a time I would wonder whether finding a "good" job & being "comfortably" "settled in life" was all I wanted...with a good office in Bangalore/Mumbai etc etc....


Aaah....yes...wasnt even so long ago...





Today...when I walk on the streets of this heavenly paradise which calls itself Abu Dhabi, I wonder if I will ever be capable of looking back at the small things in life & appreciating them for all they are worth...

All those little birthdays that I looked forward to as a kid... The time when I could have great food, cut cakes, wear new clothes & become GOD for a day...



If only it was so easy to become humble in what one expects from life....If only I could think below Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Singapore, Chicago & other "happening" cities of the developed world....



Hey wait a second...



Why the F**K am I creating fake airs of introspection here..!??!?!



The truth is....



That I am DAMN happy & there is nothing that you can say or do to change it..!!!!

I finally got to ride a Mercedes a couple of days earlier & I know that the Rolls Royce & Bentleys of this world can't possibly be that far away now...

This is MY day & all of you better start posting some nice comments & sending me some nice birthday wishes if you want some really nice duty-free goodies (UAE has no tax...!!! :P )


Yay...Happy Birthday to ME...!!!! ( Aah..yes...How could I forget BLUE on a day like this..!!! ;-) )

Thank you all for caring enough to drop in atleast a few words on my birthday... Thats the one thing I miss here in the heaven that offers me everything else...!!!!

Damn my work...!!!!
I really wanted to spare more time for this post & make it longer... Forgive my medicority this time friends...Will make it up to you next time..!!!!!

23 comments:

Akshaya said...

Happy Birthday [:D]I shall not repeat what I have scrapped earlier. But the same applies here also

shaaaaaaam said...

haha...happy b'day dude...ahem..anything 4 duty free goods...jus kiddin...wish u d very best in d times 2 come!

Kireeti (a.k.a ARAGORN) said...

Dude may god bless you with that fleet of rolls royce and bentleys...so tat one day i'll get a ride in it!!! Keep Rockin

Unknown said...

heyyy shubho!!hope ur enjoying the BLUES!!!:P
happy b'day

Unknown said...

Macha...Happy Birthday.. and keep getting more awesome every year...as u hve been ......

supraja suresh said...

happy birthday!!....dunno but some how after your post i can see you as some to total sheikh types...wth those robes n all!! :-P rofl

and ya as shyam said anythng for duty free goods!!lol

PG said...

hey even i want a few [ read loads] of those duty free goodies.... so hey happpy birthday again

Shubhankar said...

@akshaya...

Thanks....& I need not repeat what I had scrapped u in reply..!
It applies here & everywhere else u can imagine it to be relevant..![:P]

Shubhankar said...

@shaaaaam...

Thou were saying thatu wanted a treat from "ITC" chola sheraton remember..??time for u to redeem your requests..[:P]

Shubhankar said...

@kireeti...

Only the Bentleys & Rolls Royce...???
Good...so I get to enjoy some privacy in the yachts..!! :D

Shubhankar said...

@Harsh...

Enjoying the blues is not an abrupt achievement..Its a continuous process..! :P

@Ritukar

Aah..if only I was as great as I claimed to be..! :D

Shubhankar said...

@supraja...

Did u know that the "robes" are really comfortable to wear...much more so than our screwed up formal wear..??
Never mind...I am "receptive" to all cultures...not just arabs.. :P

Shubhankar said...

@prhea...

Hmmmm...The world isnt as greed-free as I thought after all..!!! :D

shaaaaaaam said...

@shubhankar:din know u ver an ungrateful wretch

Shubhankar said...

@shyam
abey bh***di ke...dont u understand english..?? i said u can "REDEEM" your requests..!!!!

Garam Bheja Fry said...

hii..sorrry re for a late comment ...
waise 1st of all a bhery happy birthday..tera pahila budday desh ke baahar...hope ki aage ke 4-5 budday bhi kisi aur desh me ho... lekin dekhna aisa kuchh matr karna ki abu-dhabi se abu-gharib pahuch jaaye :P

waiting for more colorful posts!!! :)

Shubhankar said...

@garam bheja fry...

Zyaada kuch kar daala tho gareeb bhi reh paaya tho kaafi khushi ki baat hogi..!! ;-) :D

Subodh said...

Happy Birthday Buddy..

Shubhankar said...

@eric..

A bit late....but still most welcome..thanks..!!! :-)

Unknown said...

belated happy bday!!!!

Subodh said...

No Updates since you joined Work. I guess Company is screwing you.

Subodh said...

BTW I updated my blog.. 2-3 normal posts.. Visit if you have got spare time.

Shubhankar said...

@eric....

Aah...Nothing escapes your divine attention....Its time I returned to being a writer..!!! :P